Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Success!

When I first became a single mother, I had a two year old and twin 8 month old boys. My world was a swirling whirlwind of bottles, diapers and snuggles. I spent most days overwhelmed to tears, unsure of how to get through to bedtime.

The "kid" years seemed SO distant. Yet, here I am!

We spent the entire summer together, playing, laughing and going many different places. I had the antithesis of a schedule, and everything was just free-flowing and natural. We woke when we felt rested, we slept when we felt tired. We explored the world around us. We spent time with family. It was beautiful. All good things have to come to an end, but we filled the summer with as many memories as there were moments.

Today we felt the familiar snap of fall in the air, and was the first day for a couple of months that he needed to take a coat with him. All of his clothes were laid out and ready to go. I had his bag packed with all of his goodies requested by his teacher, and he joyfully poked through the contents before breakfast. I woke him up with some tickles and a song that I was making up as I sang, and made him sausage and toast with hot chocolate for breakfast (his favorite) while we talked about how much he has grown up. His response, "I know. I'm a big kid now. I'm all grown up!" Not quite, son, but you're getting there! All in all, it was enough to make any boy feel ready and capable to face the excitement of the day.

Many moms were tearing up, but I wasn't one of them. I just sent my darling, mature William off to his first day of Kindergarten and didn't shed a tear. It was nothing but pride on my face. I'm beginning to understand the depth of the meaning of that word. I feel like my heart grew two sizes while I watched him walk confidently into his classroom and make new friends right away. He waved me off sheepishly with an embarrassed smirk on his face, and I stood in the hallway watching him interact with his classmates.



I eventually made my way home with the twins to get some quality time with them before picking Will up and headed back to drop Matthew off for his afternoon Pre-K class. Shane attends tomorrow. The schedule this year is going to be crazy, but it gives me more one on one time with the boys. I want to give them as much training as I can before I'm no longer the most important influence in their lives.

I didn't think today would ever come, but I'm so glad it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment