Sunday, July 22, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

One of the things I enjoy most is cooking. It's my happy place!

It's not that I'm "good" at it naturally - one day I simply decided I wanted to cook. The secret to success has been enjoying the process and not worrying about possible failure (and having a dinner backup on hand just in case!). When I'm out of something, I just throw together another batch so I always have something homemade on hand.

These are far less expensive, fresher (more delicious!) and way healthier than any tortilla you can find in the grocery store.

Tonight I decided to make some slow cooker venison tacos, homemade all the way down to the tortillas. I used the recipe listed here at Jazibe's Recipes - Tortilla. The items I substituted in her recipe were that I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 unbleached white, and I used grapeseed oil in place of lard. Turned out phenomenally! The dough is pretty dry before you let it rest for a bit, so don't be alarmed when you get a large brick. Keep kneading, and give it about 15 minutes to rest, covered, before you roll out the smaller pieces to shape with a rolling pin.

They turned out pretty great! Start to finish, only an hour. I'm freezing half and keeping the other half in the fridge - I'll be making pumpkin chicken enchiladas later this week to stick in the freezer.

To make the tacos, I put a 2 lb roast in the crock pot after seasoning it with steak seasoning and searing it in a pan (you can use beef, venison or pork) and a 16 oz. jar of salsa, one chopped sweet onion, a dash of spicy cajun seasoning, a teaspoon of honey, 2 tbsp taco seasoning, 1/2 cup of beef stock, 1 tbsp dark chili powder, and pepper. Threw it in the crock pot for 8 hours, and it was tender and perfectly shredable. I had my father and brother over for dinner and it had rave reviews. We topped the tacos with the usual fixings, avocado, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and sour cream, along with a little hot sauce for the adventurous.



Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for a Liebster Blogging Award! Check it out here :) http://adayinthelifeofamomandawife.blogspot.com/2012/08/liebster-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete