Monday, August 2, 2010

In my place.

‎"For every person who might reject you if you live your truth, there are ten others who will embrace you and welcome you home." ~Marianne Williamson

Some folks out there feel compelled, on occasion, to "put me in my place". "Quit playing the victim. If you have chickens you'll become a crazy bird lady. You need to finish school faster. Don't accept help, it makes you weak."

Everyone seems to have an opinion.

Thankfully, for me, God put me in my place. THIS place. I'm quite happy here. Yes, I have moments where life gets hard and I lose heart, but we all do. I feel hurt sometimes by the difficulty that this particular situation weights me with, but I get over it. I grow. I learn. I pray. I HEAL.

I'm one thing, though, that is undeniable. I'm myself. I get a dorky thrill out of trading one of my roosters for a laying hen, as if I'm living back in the frontier and making a home out of a little house in the big woods. I listen to rap music and dance while I can jam like a 50's housewife. I take in my surroundings quietly every day, with a deep joy, enjoying every creation God has made. I hate writing thank you notes, but often do things months later out of gratefulness for the gift I remember that someone gave me. I love the tradition of taking tea, and wish I were more directly British (though I'm grateful to have a fabulous British friend).

Worst of all, and best of all - I wear my heart on my sleeve. It makes me vulnerable, but I get the peace of knowing I've always put it all on the line for things I care passionately about.

So, yes... I don't live the picture perfect life of the American Dream, but I'm living my dream in having the freedom to just be myself. A mom. A friend. A daughter.

True love comes in so many forms.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry people are so rude and inconsiderate. One of the most piercing lessons that was ingrained to me was "do to others as you would have done to you." I can't say that I ALWAYS guard my mouth and actions--but if I slip-- my mind immediately slips back to that phrase. To each there own- what a boring world it would be if everybody were the same. I mean, after all... somebody has to be a crazy bird lady! ;) (and... I'm very excited to become the crazy goat/bird lady!)

    I love you! I love where you've been--and I'm so amazed at where you have come. Puts pure joy in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The American Dream is for people who want to be like everyone else.... and God is not calling people to be like everyone else!

    You go with your crazy chicken lady self! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding peace and happiness in YOUR life is all that matters. I'm a single mom too so I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen - you are a true kindred spirit! And, I fully expect you to ship a sample (or bucket, whatever lol) of your soon to be famous goat cheese over dry ice. ;) I'll be your first customer! The tough thing is, some people ARE thinking when they're speaking, it's just that some of them have trouble seeing truth, or acknowledging that some people arrive at a destination they didn't intend for reasons beyond their control.

    B- That is SO true. I never thought of it that way. :)

    SCM - Agreed! :)

    ReplyDelete