Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Circumstance vs. State of Mind

You know this kind of day - you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, thought your toothbrush was deodorant and put it in your armpit (and THEN turned it on...), missed every green light on the way to work and lost a major project due to a technical glitch. A circumstantial nemesis.

It may seem like things will never get better, and you're right, they may not. You may go on to spit tomato soup all over a comedic co-worker who told you a joke just after a nice long sip. You may also break a 400.00 piece of equipment due to wistfully thinking about your amazing weekend instead of concentrating on the task at hand.

However, when we re-direct our focus to the more permanent, our spiritual lives and God's purpose for us, these things fade in importance and in their effect on our peaceful state of being. No matter how much we drift or even run from God's presence, there is something about his ability to draw us back that is kind of magical. Our Heavenly Father loves us more than we can imagine, and it's comforting to know that no matter how hectic or crazy our lives get, He is always there, waiting with a warm embrace and words of wisdom. We may think we have all the answers on how to live, but when we find ourselves in another pit of our own digging, unable to escape, we turn again to His holy Word and remember what our true purpose is.

Imagine for a moment the impact we can have on another person in the same circumstances. How many people could we lift up in any given day simply with a kind word and a helping hand? That overwhelmed mother with three kids in tow at the grocery store may like a helping hand with the door. An old woman struggling to take out her trash can may appreciate a helping hand. A friend may need a silly joke sent to them on their phone.

God promised us that in this life we WOULD see trouble. ""I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
In spite of this, He continues to lead us through every single type of difficulty with a loving hand, bringing all negative circumstances to their knees for our good. He teaches us patience, endurance and hope.... and those are things that are more valuable than any earthly victory. 


What circumstance do you want to overcome today? Who will you be able to help overcome theirs?

5 comments:

  1. Erin,
    Do you guys go to church? I am raising 4 kids and we do go to church...but lately am feeling like I don't FIT. Don't know if it's something I need to get over (and I am still attending regularly) or something I need to recognize & do something about. What I do know is that I am having trouble even reading my Bible lately...and I appreciate this post!
    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No matter how much we drift or even run from God's presence, there is something about his ability to draw us back that is kind of magical"

    Thank you for this beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - we do attend church but sporadically at the moment. I feel like I don't FIT either, I know JUST what you mean!!! I also have a fear of people I don't know at the moment, it's this irrational thing I've developed since I got divorced. I hate having to explain that I don't have a husband, since everyone I meet at church sees my kids and assumes I'm married. I'm working on overcoming this! If there is a place we desperately NEED to be, it's worshipping our precious Lord. I had a friend take me with her to the Women of Faith Conference in Spokane two weeks ago, and it was so nourishing for my soul. I realized how much more I need to go, just for ME to worship. I have been reading my Bible more lately after a drought this summer, and I can feel God drawing me back to himself. SO comforting! I'll be praying the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Erin. I really appreciate it! I don't know if I am just being tempted to go my own way right now or what. I do know that I have trouble holding myself to the standards my church has for its members. And, now, with working 3rd shift and looking at the fact that I agreed to be there whenever the doors are open, I feel a bit overwhelmed. But I cannot deny the fact that there are so many other things I am doing in my life right now that don't line up w/church. It's just not a fun place to be! I appreciate your prayers...and thank you for taking the time to blog! If we lived closer, we could meet for coffee. If you're ever in Maine... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, I absolutely feel you there!!! And, consider it done. I happen to love Maine. :)

    ReplyDelete